Connected Learning Days (COLD)
OCTOBER 31, 2018 - For the 2018-19 school year, our district will roll out Connected Learning Days (CoLD Days), also referred to as E-Learning Days.
This is an opportunity to extend learning beyond the classroom.
It is the mission of Shakopee Public Schools, in partnership with our community, to educate lifelong learners to succeed in a diverse world. In order to do this, learning needs to continue even when we have an unplanned cancellation of a school day.
Students will be expected to participate in their courses in Canvas or through activities that they can do around their home.
All schools in Minnesota have a required amount of time for which students must attend.
In the event that we have a school cancellation due to inclement weather or an unforeseen emergency, Connected Learning Days help us meet our instructional hour requirements.
- If there is a school cancellation, families will receive an automated email message. Messages will also be posted on the district website, social media, and appear on local television stations.
- In most cases, K-5th grade students will complete portions of a pre-assigned selection of learning activities created by their teacher. 6th-12th grade students will log on to their courses in Canvas to connect with their teachers and work on their assignments.
- Teachers will check email and voicemail periodically during the school day to answer questions and provide guidance.
- The due dates for Connected Learning Day assignments will be determined by each teacher.
- Accommodations for students with special needs will be considered and provided. If specific adaptations are not able to be provided provisions will be made upon returning to school.
A number of other districts in Minnesota are using similar activities for E-Learning Days. We looked at what other districts were doing to get ideas in putting together a plan to best meet the needs of our Shakopee students, while complying with state laws that set expectations for E-Learning days.
While many hours have been dedicated to the successful launch, we also recognize this will be an opportunity for us to continuously improve and modify our plans where needed.