Sent to all district families & staff on May 7, 2021
RE: School Health & Safety Updates
Dear Shakopee Public Schools Staff and Families,
On May 6, 2021, Governor Walz and the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) announced changes to the required health and safety protocols in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. There were major changes in these protocols for the State of Minnesota. However, both the Governor and the Minnesota Department of Education were clear to point out that most of these changes do not impact schools in our State during the typical school day, or while riding school buses to and from school, for the remainder of this school year. During the typical school day, schools in the State of Minnesota will continue to follow MDE’s Safe Learning Plan through the end of the regular school year, which is June 10, 2021 in our district.
During the School Day
During the regular school day, the only real changes to COVID-19 health and safety protocols from now through the end of this school year are in regards to outside activities. Persons participating in activities outdoors like recess, Physical Education, track & field/activity days, lunch, etc. are no longer required to wear a face mask.
Events Held Outside the Regular School Day
Outside the regular school day, starting on May 28, there are significant changes for school related events, both indoors and outdoors. Participant and spectator limitations, that were created due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols, will no longer exist. Persons attending indoor events will still need to wear a face mask. Persons attending outdoor events with a crowd size greater than 500 persons will be required to wear a face mask.
From May 7 until May 28, there remain capacity limits for indoor, school related events, held outside the regular school day. Outdoor events held during this time period no longer have capacity limits. Here is a link to find specific information on the rules and capacity limits for this particular time period.
Current School Day Procedures that will Remain
During the regular school days through June 10, 2021, IHD students will continue to learn in-person, five days a week. They will also continue to adhere to the following COVID-19 health and safety protocols during the school day:
- Masks/face coverings are still required for students and staff while inside school buildings, except when eating or drinking during lunch.
- Social distancing of 6 feet or more, with a minimum of 3 feet or more, remains in effect for students and staff within the building.
- Close contact guidelines and contact tracing for exposure to a positive COVID-19 will continue at this time.
- Anyone exposed to someone who has tested positive (PCR test) for COVID-19 within 6 feet or less for 15 minutes or longer will still be considered a close contact and therefore required to quarantine. This includes in-school or out-of-school exposures. Persons who have been fully vaccinated are not required to quarantine when considered a close contact.
- The safest quarantine period is still 14 days since the first date of exposure. Shortened quarantine options are available to those who qualify. The Shakopee COVID nurse team will provide guidance on eligibility.
- COVID-19 health and safety protocols for students riding school buses are unchanged and will remain in effect through the end of the school year.
Custodians and staff will continue to disinfect and clean high touch surfaces in our school buildings throughout the day. The Pandemic Response Advisory Team (PRAT) will continue to monitor pandemic health and safety. Pandemic response information and data will continue to be posted on the district website.
Students should stay home if experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, and call your school to report the absence.
Shakopee Online is a year-long virtual program and will continue to run as normal.
We appreciate the continued support of students, staff and the community as we work together to end the school year on positive and safe notes!