Medication at School

  • Whenever possible, the parent or guardian should make arrangements so that it is not necessary for school personnel to administer medication to a student. However, there are cases when a student's health could be compromised by not getting medication during school hours. When sending any prescription or nonprescription medication to school each year, parents/guardians must provide the Medication Authorization form to the school before medication can be administered.  The medication authorization must contain the healthcare provider’s signature if prescription medication is to be administered at school.   

    Any Over-the-Counter medication (such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen) that does not exceed the recommended dose will not require a doctor’s signature.  Medications cannot be expired and must be FDA approved for school personnel to administer.

    For students at the secondary level, permission can be granted to self-carry medication that is needed for life-threatening health conditions such as asthma or severe allergies.  A Self-Carry Contract must be on file in the health office.  

    Click here to obtain medical forms.