Winter Weather Guidelines & Information
A top priority for our district is student and staff safety. The decision to close school is based upon the safety of road conditions and weather forecast. Outside air temperature or wind chill may also impact school operations (-25 air temperature or -40 wind chill). When determining whether to close or delay school due to weather conditions, we will examine each weather event on a case-by-case basis.
In the morning, if weather causes school to be canceled or delayed, the decision will be made by 5:30 a.m. Communication starts to staff, students and families as soon as the decision is made and includes our transportation partner, Palmer Bus Services, and childcare partner, River Valley YMCA. Please ensure your contact information in Infinite Campus is updated.
In the event of an emergency during school hours, or in cases of weather-related changes to the school day, it’s important to know where to find accurate and up-to-date information.
- Automated phone calls and email notifications: School closings or delays are communicated through an automated phone calling service, email and text message.
- District and school websites: The notice of a school closure, late start or early dismissal will appear on the Shakopee Public Schools home page as well as individual school websites (homepage) as soon as the decision is made.
- District social media: Twitter and Facebook
- News Station of Record: For weather-related changes to the school day, messages will appear on WCCO, the district's news stations of record. We provide information immediately after the decision is made, but have no control over when the message airs. Shakopee Valley News, the district newspaper of record, will also be notified.
If a parent or guardian's assessment of the weather situation differs from the district, simply notify the child's home school attendance line should the child stay home. If a student is already in school, standard pick up procedures apply. Unless the temperature or wind chill are below zero, our students are outside before/aer school and during recesses. It is imperative and expected that each student is dressed properly for the cold weather. A warm coat, mittens or gloves, hats and boots are required items. Families that have difficulty obtaining these items should contact the school social worker.
Stepping Stones Preschool/ECFE/PACE
The below information applies to morning preschool, ECFE and/or PACE programming at Pearson Early Learning Center.
- If school is delayed 2 hours, morning preschool/ECFE classes will be canceled.
- If school is delayed 2 hours, all afternoon classes (PACE, preschool, ECFE) and evening classes will be held as scheduled.
- In the event of a 2-hour early release, afternoon preschool/PACE and evening ECFE classes will be canceled. Full-day 4-year old classes and YMCA care will close at 1:00pm and students must be picked up by 1:00pm.
- In the event of a 2-hour late start, full-day 4-year old classes will still report and adhere to the altered schedule, which is 11:00am to 3:00pm.
- If school is closed due to inclement weather, then ALL in-person Pearson Early Learning Center programing will be canceled.